Saturday, June 20, 2009

Wikimedia experience

Wow!
There is much more to the wiki_world than I realized. I first read some of my classmates comments. I wanted to know what they reviewed in hopes not to repeat their content. I found all the wiki medias interesting, however, I was drawn to the WIKINEWS, and WIKISOURCE and WIKIBOOKS. I liked WIKINEWS, it has a rolling - scroll on top, I can stay logged on and informed just by reading the top headliners and if I want more detail, I click on the article, because the artical. .because it displayed so many articles on one screen. I could pick what I wanted to read about. I am annoyed at local TV news anchors and network news anchors. I can read much faster than what they read aloud, and there are only a few news delivery I really like. Others are boring and seem to repeat comments day afer day, I do not like when they add humor, b/c most often they are not funny. Sooooo --- I prefer to read my news, and WIKInews is perfect. I can select what I want to read. I can also select the category in Wikinews.
I liked WIKIsource because it contains a full genre of books, and I can access them from anywhere--- I am on a business trip or find myself needing something to do, I can always go on Wikisource or Wikibooks to select and read a good book. I found the autobiographies of Henry Ford and Memoirs of Benjamin Franklin in the WikiSource, and found a plethora of open-source books in WikiBooks. Here I can again select a book of interest, whether it is a book on oncology, history, science, or how to assemble a computer. I like the outline format, this design will help me remember where I ended reading.

I like them all and I know I will be reading them long after this class ends!

2 comments:

  1. I will have to check out Wikinews now since you reviewed it. I think I am the same way with news. I much prefer to read it, so that will probably be a good source for me as well. I was really amazed at all the Wiki's there are out there too! Anyway, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice reviews for both. Glad to hear the excitement.

    ReplyDelete