Tuesday, June 16, 2009

My thoughts about 2nd Life

This is an assignment to describe my course experience on 2nd life and reflect if 2nd life meets ths definition of a Web 2.0 tool.

Let's see: our class definition is:

Web 2.0 is the second generation of web development and web design that consists of a dynamic and interactive World Wide Web that is more of a democratic, personal, do-it-yourself medium instead of a product only web designers can create. Web 2.0 encourages collaborative use and community development through communication, information sharing, interactivity, and social networking via applications such as blogs, RSS feeds, tags, video sharing, social networking, social bookmarking, wikis, etc. that are designed to be easily accessed and shared by users across multiple platforms.

Discover new Web 2.0 tools and applications -- Second Life - 2L

This was my third experience with 2L, admittedly I did not continue the learning and discovery of 2L from my previous class. Now however, I have learned and feel more comfortable with the functionalities now, that I have seen the excellent YouTube tutorials. 2L is definitely a socially interactive, communication tool that could be used for information sharing or entertainment.

How to apply these tools to our daily lives and jobs, and also to contribute some of the knowledge gained using Web 2.0 tools in professional/personal lives.

If I had a classroom of high school students, I could create a classroom space had assignments and clues for particular projects. If I had a non-profit senior citizen center, I could display the 2l program on the projecter and I could teach the seniors how to fly and play other potentional activities. Once a user is comfortable with the rules of engagement and movement, it is fun! My 13 year old daughter had more fun with it than I did. (she was learning the how to change appearances). I will continue to share the adventure with my family.

Remaining Objectives: Hear how others are using Web 2.0 tools, and weigh pro's/con's. Become familiar with leading tools in this space. Become familiar with some not so leading tools in specific categories. The ability to talk intelligently about Web 2.0 and it's applications in fields relevant to us. Have discipline in approaching the complexities of multiple tasks, time lines, tools, logins, URLs, in an unstructured framework.

I can use my knowledge and explore the current uses and habirs of the dominant players of the specific categories of WEB 2.0 tools. Courses like WEB 2.0 will continue to search and explore the current and emerging tools and trends as well. While discipline in time management is very important, I think tutorials and preplanning can resolve the overwhelming feeling of deadlines and functionalities. I will add another challenge is for educate users on how to navigate 2L to trusted venues, and to expect unexpected when visiting the sites. Also, it helps to explore with friends to ensure a save an trusted experience and adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment